Jewish Family & Career Services is a non-profit comprehensive human services organization founded in 1908, serving the entire community with programs focusing on family, work, education, older adults, immigrants and refugees.
The Jewish Family & Career Services (JFCS), founded in 1908 as the Federation of Jewish Charities, is one of Louisville’s oldest charitable human services organizations. It was initially created to provide financial assistance, health care and child care to immigrants from Eastern Europe. Throughout the years, it was considered vital to provide special attention to the economic, social and cultural needs of Jews as a communal group because these needs were not being met through the existing social welfare system.
In 1943, the Jewish Vocational Service was established to provide a wide range of educational, vocational and career services for adolescents and adults and later for soldiers released from WWII. The social service and vocational agencies consolidated in 1978, forming Jewish Family & Vocational Service.
In 1997, JFVS had outgrown its physical space and embarked on a building campaign. Through the generosity of many individuals, businesses and community organizations, the Louis & Lee Roth Family Center opened in 2000 at the corner of Dutchmans and Cannons lanes as the new home for JFVS.
In anticipation of the 100th anniversary in 2008, the Board of Directors embarked on an endowment campaign to ensure sustainable programs and building maintenance. More than $3 million was raised. The agency name was changed to Jewish Family & Career Services with a new logo.
Today, JFCS is a comprehensive human services organization that takes an integrated approach to providing care, counseling and guildance for people of any age, religion or ethnic origin. We give people the skills and tools to manage transitions and to meet life’s challenges relating to family, relationships, aging, education, work and financial stability.
- Adoption Services
- Career Services and Workforce Development
- Career & College Advisement
- Emergency Services
- Employer & Contract Services
- Family & Bar/Mat Mitzvah Projects
- Individual & Family Counseling
- Klein Older Adult Services
- Navigate Enterprise Center
- Multicultural & Microbusiness Services
- One-stop Career Center
- Senior Concierge HomeCare
- Senior PALS & Joy!Ride Transportation Services
- Food Pantry
- Support Groups & Group Workshops
- Supported Employment
- Volunteer Opportunities
Our Mission is to strengthen individual, family, work, and community life, enhance self-sufficiency, and reflect the enduring values of Jewish tradition.
Our Guiding Principles
Our core values are defined by Tikkun Olam, making the world a better place, by:
- Offering services within a climate of caring, trust and respect for human dignity and diversity
- Emphasizing an interdisciplinary approach that encompasses the ever-changing circumstances throughout one’s life
- Committing to the highest quality service provided by skilled, compassionate professionals
- Creating innovative programs that reflect the changing needs of the people and communities we serve
- Seeking and valuing collaborative efforts in a spirit of inclusiveness
- Following the ethical and visionary leadership of our Board of Directors, dedicated staff, and compassionate volunteers.
2017 – 2018 Board of Directors
2016-2017 Board of Directors
Immediate Past President
Judge Joan Byer
Dr. Lisa Klein
Mark S. Ament
Lowell Katz, M.D.
Marjorie B. Kohn
Jeffery Weiss, M.D.
Shelton R. Weber
Rabbi David Ariel-Joel
Rabbi Josh Golding
Rabbi Joe Rooks Rapport
Rabbi Gaylia R. Rooks
Rabbi Robert Slosberg
Rabbi Michael Wolk
Judy Freundlich Tiell
Chief Financial Officer
Director of Career Services & Workforce Development
Director of Development & Marketing
Grants & Information Manager
Director of Family Services
Director of Navigate Enterprise Center
Partners & Sponsors
Other Ways to Support JFCS
Baskets of Blessing: Baskets of Blessings
Planning a Simcha? Contact JFCS to reserve your Baskets of Blessings to make a special occasion even more meaningful. Our baskets will enhance the Bimah and/or tables at your event while also representing your contributions to JFCS for food and assistance to those in need. Each basket rental represents a tax-deductible contribution to JFCS.